There are plenty of things in life that you should take with a pinch of salt, but the Salt Camp is not one of them. The annual winter pop-up is serious. About fun. The beloved homegrown burger brand’s pop-up camp is back for its 4th edition, and as always, it’s blindingly pink and simply begging to be Instagrammed. It’s open every day until March 22, from 12pm-12am on weekdays and till 1am on weekends.
After touring the venue ourselves, we’ve come armed with 7 solid reasons for why you’ve got to visit the pop-up Salt Camp, even if it means weathering the biting cold in hour-long queues.
1. It’s a tribute to traditional Bedouin camping
There’s a reason why the Salt Camp is cheekily named ‘This is Not Camp’. For starters, the pop-up is set bang in the middle of the city, in the financial district of DIFC behind the Museum of the Future, making it as far removed from a traditional Bedouin camp location, i.e. the desert. By borrowing elements of traditional Bedouin desert camps such as floor seating, enjoying food in a shared communal setting, and a ton of desert sand carpeting the floors of the campsite to make it feel like the real deal.
2. Campfire food here is more than s’mores
Traditional camping nosh pales before the gourmet-level delicacies served up here. In fact, it’s safe to say that 60% of the visitors are Salt Camp are there for the food and the remaining 40% head there for both the food and the Instagram fodder that this pop-up venue serves. But coming back to the food, you’ll be warming up on wagyu burgers cooked over a central fire pit, Japanese steak sandwiches, and fancy desserts like piping hot chocolate affogato to beat the cold.
3. There’s an airstream trailer here filled with sand
Visualise an airstream trailer abandoned in the desert, dunes filling up its floors. The Salt pop-up camp has done exactly that, except the trailer is parked at the entrance camp with the Museum of the Future watching over it. This is a clever nod to Salt’s origin as a food truck parked by Kite Beach and the otherworldly, abandoned vibe inside allows you to disconnect from the city’s hustle and bustle all while being in the heart of it. The fact that it’s a stunning Instagram backdrop is just an added bonus
4. Shiny bedazzled camels make an appearance
Did we mention the two camels in blingy pink saddles who stroll around the foot of the Museum of the Future? Forget the swanky Ferraris and Lamborghinis you can peep in and around this part of the city, these camels are the pimped-out ride that truly screams Dubai. The camels make scheduled appearances at Salt Camp every day, so make sure you don’t miss them.
5. Live entertainment at Salt Camp
Roving jugglers, live musicians, artists deftly filling up bottles with stunning sand art, live DJs, the list is endless when it comes to entertainment at the Salt Camp. The entertainment keeps changing on a nightly basis, so you’ll be amused by fresh acts every time you visit the venue during its four-month stint until March 22.
6. Salt Camp’s sunset views are to-die-for
When you’re sat inside the Salt Camp, keep your eyes trained to the Museum of the Future as the sun begins to set. You’ll have one of the best vantage points in the city to capture the beautiful building in all its architectural splendor just as it’s calligraphic lights go on and the sky behind it is painted in glorious brushstrokes of orange, purple, and pink.
7. You can shop while you camp
City slickers who give the outdoors a wide berth – this pop-up camp was made for you. Agreed, you’ll leave with some sand in your shoes but you’ll get to do all that while enjoying modern comforts, such as shopping for artsy pottery, hoodies and socks emblazoned with quirky slogans and more at a stall within the venue. The entire pop-up is built on the concept of camping without the commitment of time or gear. In a few hours, you’ll have enjoyed the experience of being out in the wild without ever leaving SZR or wrestling with pitching a tent in the middle of nowhere.